Saturday, March 26, 2011

Cognitivism as a Learning Theory



Wanda Ardoin-Bailey
Module 2 Blog Assignment

The first post truly interested me because as I was reading information related to cognitivism, I continued to think of the words, "eithor/and or" I couldn't fit my style of teaching in one or the other method, behaviorism or cognitivism. At times, I felt that my style strictly related to behaviorism, but when I resolved to that notion, something else would rush to my memory that made me think otherwise. It was refreshing to hear that it doesn't have to be either/or; it can be "and", so this leads me to I agree with Kapp's  (2007) blogspot that with the different layers of learning comes the different approaches to gaining knowledge.

The theories of learning have evolved from necessary change because learning is not stagnant. Theories no matter scientific or educational, in my opinion, are there to be challenged because from those challenges we have a better way of doing things.




As I can see how I was not "cherry picking", or using theories as a blinker, I was indeed using them as a guide (Kerr, 2007). When watching the video, remember in a single week or single lesson how you also changed you’re prospective.  As part of my teaching philosophy, one theory might hold true for my students, but the use of others are far behind


What is your pilosophy of teaching and how do theories of learning impact it?



Kapp, K. (2007, January 2). Out and about: Discussion on educational schools of thought [Web log post]. Retrieved from http://www.kaplaneduneering.com/kappnotes/index.php/2007/01/out-and-about-discussion-on-educational/

RESPONSE:
A response was made to the blogs of  LaTonya Simmons and Bradley Gogan.
LearningDctr’s Channel (June 17, 2011). Behaviorism, Cognitivism, Constructivism &
Learning and Instructional Theory. Retrieved from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YOqgXjynd0



Kerr, B. (2007, January 1). _isms as filter, not blinker [Web log post]. Retrieved from http://billkerr2.blogspot.com/2007/01/isms-as-filter-not-blinker.html

A short time ago, I felt like I would just pick an assignment out of a hat to motivate, inspire, and educate my students, but I was not doing that at all.  In fact I buy into theories because of my observations, facts, and predications as it relates to a particular subject, class, or even a concept I want to convey.

3 comments:

  1. Wanda,

    I enjoyed reading your post! As always, reading others' ideas helps me to refine and define my own!

    I think the one thing I am getting from this in-depth study of these theories is an understanding of my own. I can now articulate why I have so much difficulty stating which theory I subscribe to. I don't believe I subscribe to any one theory. If I had to pick the one I use most, it would be constructivism. However, I can see the value in each theory as needed for students to understand concepts.

    In the beginning of this class, Dr. Moller asked if we have to change theories to meet the needs of the students. I still stand firm in what I said - I do not change theories. This is true simply because I like something in all of them. I change methodology - and yes, that is affected by theory - but my theories do not change. I could match strategy to theory...but they change too often.

    Perhaps we should create a new theory. One that combines them all....we can call it "Behacognisructivism"....what do you think?

    Nice blog!

    Christine Moore

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wanda:

    The video really compartmentalized theory and gave me "something to hang my hat on". Teaching in the CAI Lab is a conglomeration of Prescriptive theory: Helping people learn and behaviorism. I have always compared myself to a doctor who sees the need and prescribes the necessary cure. But teaching with technology does make the learner more responsible.

    Great post.

    Chris W.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wanda,

    I can’t help but almost agree with you completely. I would add that I do “cherry pick”. As I change and adapt to my students’ needs, I find that I pick and choose different methods and approaches depending on the topic, the skill, and the child. So not “Either/Or” but definitely a grouping. And sometimes, what I choose isn’t spelled out somewhere; it’s just what I think may work and I try it out. I never considered “theories” until I started in this program. It was amazing to find that some of what I do, someone has made a theory out of it. However, I am still on the search for the theory that encompasses it all…..ya, I know, good luck with that!



    -Christine Rand

    ReplyDelete