Monday, March 7, 2011

How People Learn Best

Learning styles are intriguing to me as a teacher and a parent. During the first week of school, I use a couple of surveys trying to ascertain how my students learn best. One learning style test I use is the online Memletics Learning Styles Inventory http://www.learning-styles-online.com/

I used the data to get to know my students and help them learn in the best environment. It also helps my students to identify the way they learn for their own purpose as well as apply this new knowledge to other classes. This active role in their learning can be used as a tool throughout their academic journey.

It comes to no surprise after analyzing the data, that my students learn best when they are working with others coupled with the art of working with their hands in real world situations. With the use of collaborative tools such as blogs, I can tap into real world situations linked with the opportunity of working with other students across the district. Visit the following blog of a past Walden student when asked if he believes "humans have a basic instinct to interact and work as a group". http://theoryandeducationaltechnology.blogspot.com/

The purpose of learning theories in educational technology stems from the fact that, though technology is a tool, how we use this tool directly relates to the effectiveness of the technology.  Opening the doors beyond the knowledge of the teacher, and the pedagogy changing to encompass the vast opportunity of technology increases the knowledge of the student.

As a Walden student how have you changed your teaching method to include technology in an effective manner?

Wanda Ardoin-Bailey
Module 1
EDUC-7105-2/EDUC-8845-2 Learning Theory and Educational Technology

RESPONSE:
A response was made to Bianca Lochner and Lauren Dart's blog

2 comments:

  1. Wanda,

    We have a similar outlook with regards to the positive correlation between effective use of technology to augment instruction and student learning outcomes. Your beginning of the school year assessment sounds like a great tool to determine the learning style of each of your individual students. Do you find that their learning style remains unchanged throughout the year?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Bianca I do find that their learning styles remain unchanged, but I do challenge them in other areas. I do this to help them discover new things about themselves. I guess it is a way of walking in others shoes.

    Wanda

    ReplyDelete