Wednesday, April 20, 2011

CONNECTIVISM



My network has changed the way I learn in a variety of ways. In viewing my mind map, I have noticed how heavily I rely on data sources for collaboration. I have always known I work better with people; I just didn’t realize how working online collaboratively have impacted the way I learn and where I get my information.

I believe the digital tools that best facilitate my learning include Skype, Wikis, and blogs. Though I was afraid that these tools would not give me the knowledge I need beyond a face-to-face environment; I was wrong. A year ago, social presence was indeed a problem for my extroverted personality. I thought I would never feel as comfortable online collaborating with people as I do face-to-face, but again, I was wrong. The digital tools used in collaborating online have allowed my extroverted personality to flourish, and learning continues in more depth.

When learning new knowledge, the first place I go is online. I use a variety of tools to get the answers I need, but I also like to confirm my new knowledge through friends, my spouse, and even other digital sources including journals. I may not use social media as my top choice when learning new knowledge, but I share new information in that manner. When seeking professional knowledge, I frequently use digital tools such as wikis, blogs, emails, and Skype.

Though I was surprised how my access to knowledge has changed when viewing it on the mind map, I am optimistic that it will continue to be impacted by digital tools for collaboration. Where you surprise after completing your mind map? What was the most shocking discovery?

~Wanda Ardoin-Bailey

RESPONSE:

1 comment:

  1. Wanda,

    I have made similar findings with regards to my learning when developing my connectivism mind map. Looking at all the nodes that comprise my network, I was surprised to realize that I am more connected that I thought I was. Also, it was interesting to find out how one node branches out into many others.

    ReplyDelete