Friday, May 6, 2011

New Technologies and the ARCS Design

Response:
I responded to the blogs of LaTonya Simmons and Bradley Gogan.

My assistant principal is not too keen on the idea of using social media and/or cell phones as an effective tool in education; however, since my leave of absence to care for my mother, I have been working with my students via smart phone.  By using e-mails, videos, and social media through my cell phone, I have encouraged my students, answered questions, viewed their work before submission, and checked for understanding during critical times of their projects. I have been sharing my students’ accomplishments with my principal through the ordeal. Though motivation is important for students, everyone can gain insight using this motivational design.  First, involving my principal was strictly for documentation purposes.  I wanted to make sure there was nothing that could be construed inappropriate by responding to my students through the various uses of technology. I didn’t realize this would gain the interest of my principal. Many of the features I used on my smart phone were features he was interested in using because he had recently purchased a phone and was clueless to its advanced mechanisms. Second, by making the use of my smart phone relevant to his needs, he understood the importance of my role with the students even though I was not in the classroom. Third, as I continued to share the information with my students, my principal asked about certain items of his phone and instructions on how to use specific features.  At one time, I gave him directions on how to take a picture of an item that is currently on his smart phone screen. Last, I hope that because of the inquiries related to his Iphone4, he is using the phone more and appreciates the use of the phone with my students.  I plan on incorporating the use my phone next year when I return to the classroom.
Below is a hyperlink explaining ARCS for the novice. I didn’t really realize I was utilizing this method, but after rereading the sections in our text and viewing the link, I understood the importance of laying the ground work for using this technology next year.  http://www.upsidelearning.com/blog/index.php/2011/02/10/instructional-design-for-beginners-what-motivates-people-to-learn/

Wanda Ardoin-Bailey

2 comments:

  1. Response to Ardoin-Bailey

    Wanda,

    I understand the situation with regard to your principal. Many of us have this same issue. Utilization of technology and good versus evil seems to inundate us. Many of the models we are introduced to benefit from the technologies we encounter and learn. The ARCS model was unfamiliar to me in name. It is funny to think of the models we use a teachers for which we have no vocabulary or understanding. While we may indeed be using parts or even the whole it is nice to have the vocabulary to go along with these models. The benefit to using such models as ARCS are immeasurable. It is nice to know we are doing something right.
    Good luck with your endeavors,
    Bradley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wanda,
    In the writing classroom, we often talk about "back dooring" concepts. In other words, how can we trick students into learning them without them realizing that is what they are doing? It seems that you did that with your principle. Yes you were helping him learn his phone and showing the relevance of the smart phone in the classroom. Even more important, you "back doored" the change aspect of what that piece of technology was already accomplishing in your class. Brilliant!!

    I appreciate the link you shared.
    Erica

    ReplyDelete